So much can happen in such a small amount of time. It feels like yesterday I was telling you all about the massive effort the Gardeners had made clearing the common gardens in our complex of some very nasty weeds. If you missed it, catch it here. And then we bade farewell to our Bangalow Palms. If you missed that one, it’s here.
When the Bangalows bit the dust, the arborists also removed some Cotton Palms and de-fruited and de-fronded a heap of Cocos Palms (almost 50!). They were here for ages. Then the next day the gardeners came back and finished mulching the gardens and removed a few more weeds. The complex looks like it’s had a mini make-over just from the quick tidy up.
There’s nothing like seeing someone else doing the hard work for you to give you a small case of the guilts and motivate you into action.
We are guilty of having one of the worst and weediest front gardens in the complex. It can only be described in one word – appalling. It has suffered from years and years of complete and utter neglect. We are partly guilty for this. While we rented out the place, we didn’t pay any attention to the gardens, and neither, it seems, did the tenants. Theoretically the gardens should be maintained as part of the strata maintenance regime, but as I’ve pointed out before, there hasn’t been enough of that going on either! So, let me share our guilt and shame…
So, with a whiff of spring in the air, a growing case of the guilts and massive sense of shame, we got stuck into the front gardens. This was our Saturday job. After Mr Perfect made a mercy dash to Bunnings to get some heavy duty garden tools (a shovel and a mattock) we rallied the troops (The Drama Queen and Daredevil) and set to work. The troops really weren’t much help, and Mr Perfect took on the role of troop wrangler while I got stuck in.
There was so much wrong with what was there. Mountains of fishbone ferns, Kikuyu, thorny Gleditsia suckers, overgrown and unruly Dietes, and weeds I couldn’t even name. The stepping stones that Mr Perfect had put in when we first moved in (only to provide a safe pathway) were crooked and didn’t quite fit. There was rubbish, timber, bricks, rocks, and we even found a service pit we didn’t know was there!
It really didn’t take as long as I thought it would, and after a break for lunch and putting the Daredevil to bed, we managed to clear out half the garden. The other half has to wait for a couple of weeks until our green bin gets emptied.
The best bit is we were able to realign the stepping stones and widen the pathway a bit by recycling the timber and bricks we found in the garden. This will do until I manage to put together a better design, and it’s much safer for the Daredevil to navigate!
Unfortunately I think we’re living with the mantra of “it’s got to get worse before it gets better” because while the weeds and palms are gone, I wouldn’t exactly say we have an award winning landscape yet! Check it out…
At least we’ve made a start, and I know Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it’s time to get cracking!