After last week’s weather curse, I’m hoping this one brings us some gorgeous sunny weather so we can all head outdoors and shake off the hibernation shackles.
Let’s face it, sometimes you just can’t, or don’t want to go outdoors. It might be wet, cold, miserable, and if you’re really lucky it might be snowing. Or, you just don’t want to go out today, you feel like a little bit of indoor entertainment. That’s fine, I understand. I’m not generally like that. I start to get a bit stir crazy if I don’t venture out the front door. There’s a world out there and I love being in it, but sometimes I do want to cocoon, to hibernate and to just sit at home for a while, generally that mood hits on rainy days in winter, so I have a feeling that we might be having the winter mood this weekend after the week of horrible rain, wind and cold that we’ve had.
When the winter mood hits, my creative soul doesn’t generally take a break. I like to make things. I try to make as many of my birthday and christmas gifts as I can, and any new babies can generally expect some hand made goodies too. I have a fabric obsession that is verging on the insane, and I probably have the supplies to kit out a small haberdashery store. So here are my top 5 things to do indoors, when you can’t or just don’t feel like heading out.
1. Craft it up – This is my number one favourite thing to do indoors. It also becomes an outdoor activity in summer when I can grab a picnic blanket (hand made) and stretch out in the sun and create. Lately I have become seriously addicted to the sock animals designed by Craft Schmaft, they are so easy and look so good. I have made flocks of owls who have flown the nest to many appreciative babies.
I was making owls before I was a Bizness Babe, and it turns out that Craft Schmaft is a Bizness Babe business too – such a small world! There are so many more Craft Schmaft patterns to choose from, last Christmas I branched out into sock dogs too!
2. Read a good book – This is something that I’ve had less and less time for. I traditionally devour books, regardless of the genre, and have been known to spend a whole day just reading a book that I can’t put down. Mr Perfect tells everyone about the number of books I took, and the amount of time I spent reading on our honeymoon. I have a soft spot for good contemporary Australian fiction, with Tim Winton being an obvious favourite. With time at a premium, these are the books I have been gravitating to, though I have just started reading a classic, I’ve picked up To Kill a Mockingbird again.
3. Become a domestic goddess – a la Nigella. I love cooking, and winter is a great time to try out new recipies. The Oven being on warms the house and the food warms the soul. I make a killer chocolate brownie, and don’t mind trying my hand at cake decorating. The DramaQueen and Daredevil have had some fantastic cakes. But winter is the best time to try out puddings, chocolate, caramel, sticky date, crumbles… all yum with cream and ice cream melting over the top!
4. Take a bath – Another thing I haven’t had a huge amount of time for lately, but there’s nothing better than running a warm bath, lighting a few candles, adding some bath oils and relaxing. Fantastic for a bit of alone time, and to recharge. I have to give a little plug for a fellow Bizness Babe – Felicity at the Karma Soap Company has just launched her website and it looks fabulous. I’m thinking her new body scrub would be a great addition to a relaxing bath, or any of her handmade fresh goats milk soaps for that matter.
5. Cheese and wine – Well, lets face it, these are good any place any time, but they seem a bit nicer when you’re sitting around an open fire. My sister is the queen of cheese, check out her christmas cheese platters.
Most of these things go very well with an open fire and a nice quilt to rug up with. Maybe you could make one??!!??