What if you just don’t have the space for a garden? Or you live in an apartment, only have hard surfaces or you don’t want to put the hard work into a rental property you will just have to leave behind. I have the answer, and a little bit of inspiration.
Yes, it is true they are a little bit needier and fussier than the traditional in the ground kind of gardens, but containers and pots can be a lot of fun. Not only can you have fun with your plants, but you also have the fun of designing and styling with the container too!
I have been tossing around some container gardening ideas for our courtyard and in the process dug up some idea gems off the net. So now it’s time to share the goodness. Hope you enjoy!
If you are serious about container gardening here are a few tips and tricks.
- Your container will need drainage holes, so if you’re re-purposing something make sure it has holes or that you can drill some in.
- Use good quality potting mix available from your local nursery. Potting mix is specifically designed for containers and is a lot better than digging up the soil from your garden. So, for the sake of a couple of dollars it is worth making the investment.
- Make sure you fertilise your plants regularly. Depending on what you are growing, there are specific container garden fertilisers on the market.
- Don’t forget to water. Pots and containers are much thirstier than other gardens, so don’t make my mistake and forget to give your pots a daily happy hour drink!
- Use more than one plant species in your pot. Different textures, colours and layers can look spectacular!
- If you are planning to move your pots, don’t make them too big or you’ll never be able to move them when they’re full of soil and plants.
And most importantly – have fun and enjoy!