We had another clear sky sunny autumn weekend. No rain to complain about, a bit of a chill in the air, but perfect weather for vegetable garden creation. While we’re waiting out my garden design and construction procrastination phase, I’ve been creating little bits of gardens, filling in some gaps with herbs and vegetables, and the odd flower. The rest of the time the garden is pretty well occupied by weeds and whatever opportunistic plant species decide they need a new home. Without the rain (take a look here) I had no excuse left to put it off, it was time to find a permanent home for the Drama Queen’s seedlings.
While I always dream about gardening in style, the reality is that we put on the daggiest clothes we could find, collected our tools and equipment and hit the courtyard. I had assembled my rag tag team of three. Two of them wanted to be there, and the other one just wanted to avoid too much carnage. The Daredevil got to put his new birthday garden tools to the test and the Drama Queen helped him while I got stuck into the hard work of turning the soil and preparing the beds, and Mr Perfect supervised to make sure that no one and nothing came to too much harm.
We had built some trellises for the pea plants to trail over, and the Drama Queen was so proud of them when they actually stood up in the newly prepared beds.
Small plants and small children are not always a great combination, but as the Daredevil bored of the fiddly work, the Drama Queen took over and started giving the plants names and calling them her “babies”.
We planted three kinds of Peas – Sweet Peas, Snow Peas and normal peas, broccoli and gourds. All the peas should do well, we had a pretty good result from the snow peas last winter, so I’m pretty optimistic. The gourds already look like they’re about to jump out of their skin, so I’m hoping they don’t take over completely. The broccoli I’m not so optimistic about. We planted some last year, and it didn’t survive the insects or creatures who feasted on its new shoots, and to be honest we didn’t give it the most delicate planting into the ground – they were the last, and the attention span was waning. Plus they probably should have been a little bit bigger before we put them in the ground, but you never know your luck in the big city, fingers are crossed.
After a covering of sugar cane mulch and a drink of seaweed fertiliser, it was time to pack up, clean up and let our babies get used to their new home.
I checked on them today, and everything is still alive, the broccoli is even looking happy. I’m looking forward to our harvest!